ICA ADMISSION POLICY
The application of any eligible student who agrees or whose parent agrees for the student to be bound by the expectations and requirements of ICA will be accepted and that student admitted if space is available. If the number of applications received for a grade level during the admissions period exceeds the available number of openings, then all the applications for that grade level will be placed in a lottery and assigned placement numbers as each number is drawn.
In accordance with public law, any child who is qualified under the laws of the state for admission to a public school is qualified for admission to a charter school. Charter schools shall not discriminate against any student based on ethnicity, national origin, gender, or
disability. Also, ICA shall not limit admission to students based on intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, disability, race, creed, national origin, religion, or ancestry.
• Lottery Process: In December of each school year, the Independence Classical Academy will accept pre-admission applications. If there are more applications than seats available, the school will hold a lottery in January.
• Waiting List Policy: A waiting list will be established using the lottery system whenever capacity is exceeded, and the
students on the list will be contacted when openings occur during the current school year only until the closing of enrollment. The wait list does not roll over to the following school year. A new application must be completed online during the open enrollment each school year to be included in the lottery.
• Notification of Acceptance Policy: Parents/guardians will be notified of their child’s acceptance or placement on a waiting list by an official email from the Enrollment Office following the conclusion of the lottery.
• Acceptance of Seat Policy: After notification of acceptance, a student registration packet must be completed and submitted by the date set by the Enrollment Office otherwise a seat cannot be guaranteed for that student. Newly enrolled students must be present on the first day of school otherwise their seat will be assigned to the next student on the Waiting List. Parents must provide proof of grade placement/promotion from their previous school.
• Age Requirements: Students five years of age on or before September 1 are eligible for entrance to kindergarten. Students who are six years of age on or before September 1are eligible for entrance to first grade.
• Enrollment: Once students are enrolled in ICA they do not need to reapply, as long as the required annual letter of intent is received in the ICA office prior to our deadline each year.
• Siblings: Once a student is enrolled, a sibling of that student has priority for enrollment provided there is space available in the grade level needed.
• Proof of residency: For each applicant, parents will be required to provide proof of residency.